I’ve noticed that adults rarely think in terms of maturity with each other. In fact, we grown ups tend to expect maturity from other grown ups, right? And that often leads to disappointment.
Here are 7 Signs of Emotional Maturity. Take a moment to honestly assess how you are doing in each of these areas.
1. The ability to deal constructively with reality.
2. The capacity to adapt to change.
3. A relative freedom from symptoms that are produced by tensions and anxieties.
4. The capacity to find more satisfaction in giving than receiving.
5. The ability to relate to other people in a consistent manner with mutual satisfaction and helpfulness.
6. The capacity to direct one’s instinctive hostile energy into creative and constructive outlets.
7. The capacity to love.
If you find yourself lacking in one or more of the above criteria, you are not alone. Many of us grew up in homes where these traits were not modeled or taught. But don’t worry, it’s never too late to grow up! Ask a trusted friend or mentor to help you grow in the areas needed, or seek a coach or counselor for expert guidance.
I would love to hear your comments! You can email me at email@example.com