Anxiety Disorders affect millions of Americans filling them with dread, fear, and uncertainty. In my last blog I shared a brief history of anxiety in society which you can view here: History of Anxiety
This post is focused on treating anxiety. Those who struggle with anxiety experience physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual symptoms, so it makes sense that treatment for anxiety address these four types of symptoms.
Here are the four areas to focus on when treating anxiety. The most complete treatment program will cover each of the four areas.
1. PHYSICAL–this category looks at how the following impacts one’s anxiety:
- Medications–some help, while others may increase anxiety.
- Caffeine, alcohol, drugs–these can greatly increase anxiety.
- Thyroid, adrenal function, anemia, asthma, etc–be aware that these factors may increase anxiety.
- Food allergies/sensitivities–may play a role in increasing anxiety.
- Sufficient sleep–can help reduce anxiety.
- Supplements–may help reduce anxiety.
- Physical exercise–very helpful in reducing anxiety.
2. EMOTIONAL–looks at the feeling involved and how to have emotional health:
- Feelings underlying panic attacks–understanding and examining these feelings can lead to healing.
- Emotionally tagging events–when the brain stores a memory of an event, it also stores an emotion associated with the event.
- Evaluate your upbringing–learn to let go of anger, frustration, and control issues from your past.
- Therapies–there are different types of therapy that can treat the emotional side of anxiety including cognitive-behavioral therapy, EMDR therapy, neurofeedback, Alpha-stim therapy, and more.
3. RELATIONAL–this area examines how we interact with others:
- Choose to be around uplifting people.
- Get out of toxic relationships.
- Know and stay in your stress zone.
- Do not isolate or shut down.
- Avoid pushy, high maintenance, or unpredictable people.
- Learn to say no and have healthy boundaries!
4. SPIRITUAL–feelings of anxiety are so deep, that a spiritual side of treatment is very effective.
- Community–stay involved and connected in your local church.
- Prayer–pray regularly, including prayers for a spirit of power and peace.
- Verse memorization–memorize verses that give you peace and comfort and focus on these verses during times of anxiety.
- Do not get caught up in the world–riches, fame, power–instead focus on the spiritual side of life.
- Music–listening to uplifting music, such as praise and worship music, can reduce anxiety.
Anxiety is real and can be devastating. The good news is that there is hope and healing available for those with anxiety disorders. If you struggle with anxiety, contact a physician or mental health care professional right away to get on a path of healing.I have helped many groups and individuals have healing from their anxiety and would love to help you or your loved one. For more info lease email me at email@example.com or call 949-303-8264.
About Randy Moraitis
Randy is married to Kim and they live in Laguna Niguel. Together they have a blended family of five adult children and three beautiful grandchildren. (If you don’t believe Randy, he will gladly show you pictures!)Randy is a Certified Intervention Professional (CIP) and expert in helping families affected by addiction and/or mental health issues. He is a Board Certified Pastoral Counselor and is both licensed and ordained as a pastoral counselor. He has five professional coaching certifications and loves working with clients on executive coaching, life coaching, wellness coaching and recovery coaching. Randy has a master’s degree with emphasis in theology and counseling, a bachelors degree in management and leadership, and a certificate in health and fitness with emphasis in exercise physiology and sports psychology from UC Irvine. He has been helping groups, individuals and families get mentally, physically and spiritually healthy in Orange County for over 25 years.